The Sunset Magazine of New England

I've been searching high and low for something like Sunset Magazine out here. I never read the magazine in California because I always knew where I wanted to visit, and I didn't own a home, but now both of those things have changed (or are soon to change).

So there R and I were in the Market Basket yesterday when Yankee Magazine jumped out at me. Sweet Potato was very intrigued by the cover photo which shows a blondy girl eating a candy apple. She'd never heard of such a thing, let alone seen one.



Looks like there's a whole article in there about Nantucket, which is where R and I are thinking of having an adventure if he's able to swing a vacation between jobs.



Also, the mag is full of New England home ideas, and yesterday we visited with our neighbors, Mr. & Mrs. Next Door, and they have a whole upstairs full of light. When we came home I told R that I thought a whole upstairs seemed extravagant before, but now I think it's a great idea. We could take out the wall between the kitchen and the kids' bedrooms, and have big open spaces down here and all of the bedrooms up there.

Get this-- R agreed with me! So exciting. I also mentioned how lovely it was to sit on the covered porch in the rain at the FMF's house, and he's considering that as well. Of course the act of turning these idears into reality is a long, long way off.

Sweet Potato requested that the upstairs be done by the time she moves out of the house and added that she may live at home while attending college, so that gives us plenty of time.

Some things I forgot to mention: We had a joyous reunion with Sweet Potato and R at the airport. Buckaroo was so delighted to see his dad and sister he squealed and kicked his legs with wild abandon.

We all learned some things during our time apart: Sweet Potato learned that she likes dogs and would like to have one as a pet. R, on the other hand, learned that having a dog as a pet is a lot of hard work, and we just don't have the time or energy for a Fido right now.

I learned that Buckaroo likes to pinch doggie lips. Poor Sweet Potato.

I also learned how to make tofu-- oh, and that I'm very grateful to R for all of the wonderful things he does around the house and for the kids. Shew!

We don't yet know what Obo has learned, but we do know that he saw Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging in the theater in England, and he says we must purchase it as soon as it's available on DVD.

Now I'm off to help R prepare for his first big job interview tomorrow. I've been coaching him to say, "Telecommuting: that's an option, right?"

Comments