My Funny Valentine

California: good times. That's all I have to say about that-- except that as I was driving up and down highway 80 between Auburn and Alameda, I realized that road is in my bones. It's a part of who I am as much as the curse of the Caspers' fingers or my mom's girlish voice.


I was very nervous, as I may have mentioned, about the return to the freezing temperatures. R knew this though, and, I think, prepared for it. While I was away, he built these book cases as a belated Valentine gift. He knows how to woo a woman. He's going to put some green molding around the edges that I don't quite understand, but if he says it will be lovely, I believe him.

I spent yesterday evening unboxing my old friends and reminiscing about our adventures together-- that is until Buckaroo awoke from his bedtime slumber and decided to throw a party. He's still on California time. We're working on it.

I'm not feeling the post-California melancholy that I thought I would. Maybe because it snowed afresh, and everything is sprinkled white again. Maybe it's because of our new Putumayo Sesame Street Around the World CD. Also, R says that even if he loses his job we won't be homeless or carless, and that's a good thing. So I said, "Does this mean we can take a vacation?" He harumphed at me. I guess I did just return from The Land of Sunshine.

Today, though, he said he'd like to take a ride out to Portsmouth NH this weekend and see what's what. I'm cracking through his armadillo hide.

Comments

Janice said…
Those bookshelves look awesome! I'm glad the transition back to snow and cold wasn't too bad for you!
Anonymous said…
Thank goodness your luggage didn't weigh over 50 #'s - with all those California treasures. Love You, Mom