What I Want to Be When I Grow Up

Don't know actually. I often think of the line from that "Sunscreen" song-- you know, the one that's always overplayed during graduation season: "The most interesting people I know didn't know at twenty-two what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting forty-year-olds I know still don't."

Am I that interesting? I have, in fact, been told more than once that I'm quite boring, but I still don't know what I want to do with my life.

Well, that's not exactly true. I always knew I wanted to be a poet, so I guess I just can't decide about the day job. My latest idea-r (that's Mass speak for idea) is to become a librarian, and there happens to be a college for librarians just down the road-- Ok, so it's in Boston.

And in support of my local libraries, I would like everyone to know (if you don't already) that our local libraries are all interconnected, so one may request a book online from any one of the libraries and pick it up at the nearest location. It is the coolest thing: http://cmars.cwmars.org/

They may become a bit annoyed if, like me, you borrow a book on cd from afar and then return it one cd short. However, annoyed as they may be, they still let me request more books online! Ah, I lurve the library!

The Ashburnham library does not participate in the loaning system, but Ashburnham residents can participate through another local library (Gardner, Ashby, Westminster, etc.). Although, watch out for that Gardner library director. She bites.

R is not as excited about this career scheme as I am, though, and says he'd rather I open a used bookstore. I've always wanted to sell used books while my cat (Mr. Darcy will be his name) sleeps on the counter. Well, mostly I just want to the read books, and after doing a bit of research it seems that there is a fair amount of work involved in owning a used bookstore, schlepping books and all that. Sheesh.

Owning a business scares the bartelbies out of me for some reason. It seems as monumental as marriage. I guess I'll stick with poetry for now and keep ya'll posted as the epiphanies appear.
In a completely unrelated note: We heard frogs singing-- I swear they were singing-- in the woods the other night, and R's mom said it means spring has truly arrived.

Comments