Walk Two Moons

I just finished reading Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech. My friend Suzanne suggested that my daughter (aka Sweet Potato) read it because it's about a girl who drives across the country with her grandparents, and Sweet Potato is planning to drive across the country with R this summer when we move to The Woods. Suzanne is getting her PhD in children's lit and has possibly read everything ever written for children and talks about books with such enthusiasm and hand waving that I want to read everything she's read.
First, I have to say that I can't believe this book has been around since 1994, and no one has ever mentioned it until now. I couldn't stop reading it. Poor Buckaroo had to roll around on the bed and chew on his giraffe shoes all day because I had to know what happened to Sal and her friend Phoebe.
Sal is thirteen, her mom moved away and didn't come back, Sal's dad moves her to Ohio, she misses her Kentucky farm, and she's on a road trip with her grandparents to visit her mom, keeping them entertained by telling them a story about Phoebe. Her gramps says "gol-darn" a lot. Her gram calls her Chickabiddy, and Gramps calls Gram Gooseberry. Oh, and they both call Phoebe, Peeby. I love them. I want them to be my grandparents.
Tomorrow I'm going back to the library, and I'm going to check out all of the books they have by Sharon Creech. Suzanne has read them all and couldn't come up with one she didn't like. Oh, and Sweet Potato is reading Ink Heart, so she'll have to meet Sal another time.

Comments