The Frost is Heaving

If you've ever been on The Matterhorn at Disney, you know how it feels to drive the road we take into town. Both give me that fresh "is there a chiropractor in the house?" feeling at the ride's end. Sometimes I worry that we're all going to smack our heads on the roof of the car on the occasion that I fail to avoid a pothole. Of course, avoiding potholes often means steering into oncoming traffic, so better a bump on the head than all-around smash up, I suppose.

The reason for the nasty roads, I'm told, is the frost heaves. As usual, I'd never heard of a frost heave before we moved to New England, and the first time I saw a caution sign for them I read heaves as a verb, as in frost heaves because. . . it drank too many cocktails? I was baffled.

but according to good ol' Wikipedia, frost heaves are what happens when the ground gets super wet and then freezes which causes it to thrust upward, tearing out anything in its way including asphalt and even, sadly, saplings. Poor babies.

As I googled around for frost heaves, I discovered there's a basketball team in Vermont called the Frost Heaves-- not a very intimidating name, I'm afraid. You probably knew this already, but if you haven't figured it out I'm a bit sport-challenged.

Click your mouse here if you'd like to see a photo of minor frost heave damage (I'll have to get out on the road and take my own photo). If you want to know more about the basketball team, you're on your own.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's all about geology - remember Mr. Fox at Sierra College. I'll never look at dirt, rocks, road cuts (not that I knew) in the same way ~ ever again. Love, Mom