Ruby Holler

I've decided to read everything by Sharon Creech because I think she writes exactly how I would write children's stories if I made the effort-- except that I'm sure hers are better than mine would be. Last night I read Ruby Holler, and Poor R had to sleep with the light on until 2 a.m. because I couldn't put the book down.

This one's about Florida and Dallas, the Trouble Twins, orphans. Florida is cantankerous and likes to use the word putrid -- which is a very good word. Dallas is a bit more hopeful and dreamy. I didn't enjoy this one as much as Walk Two Moons because Creech left some of the plot just danglin' there. I won't give anything away, but I had a couple of major questions when I finished.

I think reading children's lit is a good break. It's comfort reading.


Here's Creech's website:
http://www.sharoncreech.com/index.html

Comments