Spindled Review

Check out my review of Jacqueline West's first book of poetry, Cherma.

One tidbit I neglected to mention in my review: My female college classmates and I were instructed that we should never consider writing children's books if we wanted to be taken seriously as poets. It turns out that women in many different fields of study were given the same warning: you won't be respected if you choose to work with/ write for children. I'm thrilled to see that West has smashed that particluar glass ceiling with her series, The Books of Elsewhere.

Comments

Anonymous said…
After reading your post, I thought you might be interested in visiting this site. There is a monthly contest and a good community of writers who participate. Best of all, there is a lot of information, particularly on poetry and writing/drawing for children that you might enjoy.

http://davidlharrison.wordpress.com/
patriciacaspers said…
Wow! Thank you for the great suggestion. I do teach poetry to children, and I think this will be super helpful.