No Sugar Dip of Chocolatey Goodness

Tomorrow will mark one week of my being sugarless. Woo hoo!

I'm trying not to replace refined sugars with naturally occurring sugars because that doesn't seem right, but I'm not being a total stickler, either. I did add a half jigger of honey to the batch of soup I brewed the other day, and I had a bottle of bubbly juice at friend's party, but nothing that's sent me into relapse so far.

However, before I swore myself off the sweet stuff a friend invited me for lunch, and I promised to bring dessert. I've been in a bit of a conundrum about it. I searched the Internet for sugarless treats, but continually bumped against recipes calling for agave syrup or Splenda.

I decided to see what I could come up with on my own. And here it is:

No Sugar Dip of Chocolatey Goodness

8 Dates, chopped
1 Jar of Clotted Cream (6 oz.) (mascarpone would probably work, too).
1/4 Cup-ish of Baking Cocoa. (I prefer Dean's Beans. It's organic and it's fair trade.)

Blend dates in the food processor until they are a ball of mush. Add clotted cream and mix until well blended. Add baking cocoa and mix until well blended.

Serve with whatever you like: bananas, apples, celery, crackers, etc.

* Dates have a very high sugar content and are not a good choice for diabetics, but they are also quite nutritious.

** If you try a low-fat version of this dip, let me know how it turns out!

*** I didn't post a photo because it's not very attractive, but imagine chocolate frosting. 

Comments